Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Why 100 Blogs in a Year?

Great question?  What exactly is it that I think I'm going to accomplish by putting myself on a schedule to pump out a couple of Wordpress blogs per week?

Well, the story goes something like this....

A few months ago I plunged wholeheartedly into the Wealthy Affiliate University community.  One of the smarter things I've done for myself since making the decision to work 100% from home.  I figured, at the very least, I'd get some great training in all things SEO--which would make me more marketable as a contractor (web content writer).

I was determined NOT to spend money or get talked into any get-rich-quick schemes.  I really didn't need to worry, however, because the people at Wealthy Affiliate are all pretty like-minded.  There is an ethos there of learning from the ground up.  Of treating the internet affiliate business as a craft and a daily discipline.  High class bunch--my peers there pretty much blew me away with their willingness to critique and encourage and share ideas.

Anyway, as the days went by, and as I continued to immerse myself in the training and learn to blast out keyword-optimized articles, I just felt something was...kind of missing.

I racked my brain.  What more could I want?

I was learning a free (albeit labor-intensive) way to promote interesting products, software packages, and books online.

A few sales were dribbling in (which, I have to say, was more fun than a day at the beach).

I could give it as much time as I had available--once I'd done my client work.

And I was involved in a community (one of the things most of us work-at-home types really miss after awhile).

I wanted real estate.  My own.  I'm just that way.  If I'm going to work hard, I don't want it to be as a squatter on someone else's ranch.

I remembered some videos I had watched...some free tutorials that I had seen promoted by one of the very nice people on the Warrior Forum (one of the bigger Internet Marketing community sites).  This low-key guy with a Scandinavian accent and a thing for mini-blogs, was showing how to crank those babies out.  I was fascinated.

My problem has always been that, when faces with a universe of possibilities, I just shut down.  Well, here's Steven saying, "Don't even chase after it unless it's low-hanging fruit.  Do this, then this, then that.  And if the keyword doesn't meet your criteria, it's a dog.  Move on to the next idea."

I had kind of put Steven and his method on the back burner while I dreamed of the riches one might make off of ebooks through Clickbank.  After awhile, though, I realized that I don't feel comfortable promoting something that I haven't actually read.  And I could go broke trying to read each ebook for each new campaign. I have a few campaigns still out there on some Clickbank ebooks I like--but more and more, I was seeing products as the way to go.

Whether the analogy is "scraps," or "low-hanging fruit," it certainly doesn't sound too glamorous.  That's okay.  I remember years ago (back in the late 80's) reading the book Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis.  His point was, people are carving out lavish fiefdoms for themselves and literally burning money--all because of the "scraps" they were able to grab.  Nothing wrong with scraps.   The question is, just how many scraps can you get?

Which, for internet purposes, is where traffic comes in.  And the question, is it possible to just get small sites up and running, do the promotion work, and then leave them alone to amass all of the appropriate scraps?

Steven was saying yes, absolutely.  He'd done it with well over 150 product sites--and he was still (apparently) having a pretty good time cranking them out.  Sure, it gets a little boring sometimes, he admitted in one tutorial I watched.  But I could see that Steven enjoyed the variety--and the research victories.

I enjoy variety and research victories too.  In fact, it's safe to say that there's a big part of me that lives for those things.  Even if it's all about scraps and portable car heaters and the like.

Speaking of portable car heaters, that's what the first niche blog is about.  (Now that I've signed up for an actual mentored program with Steven, who is giving me very intelligent and timely feedback).  I have no particular affinity for the things, but I had fun writing about them--and imagining people shivering in their cars this winter and saying, "I can't wait to get home and Google 'portable car heater," so I can make it through this winter and save to get the damn heater fixed!"  And then they get home, and guess who's got herself ranked right up there in one of the top 5 or 6 spots.  Yes, my 15 minutes of low-hanging-fruit fame.  (Chuckle)

How much is each niche blog likely to earn?  An amount that some people would probably look down upon...we're talking maybe $5-$7 a day once I've promoted it.  It's peanuts, I know.  But not when you think about 100 of my babies out there helping me out.

So yeah, $5 a day.  Times 100.  That is my goal.

And I like building blogs.  I like Wordpress.  So why not?  Wish me luck, okay?  I'll keep you posted.  The next one is going to be a little less prosaic.  Modern art theme in the pipeline.  Stay tuned!

Oh, and if you're interested in checking out Steven's site, you can find it at http://SuperSimpleBlogging.com.  He's cool--and so are his video tutorials

No comments: